I was recently asked to advise a specialty welding company in the oil-gas industry that had a run of work accidents to its employees (including one severe injury) whether it could forgo purchasing workers' compensation insurance altogether and go “naked." The company...read more
With a full-time Jackson presence, along with attorneys who have significant government service and longstanding relationships with many of our elected officials, Heidelberg Steinberger provides a full range of legal services in this area, from general counsel to consulting and legislative monitoring to litigation. For many years our attorneys have represented clients with matters pending before federal, state and local governments, their political subdivisions and municipal corporations. We have experience in zoning and land-use issues, government immunity, public finance, condemnation and bonds. We recognize that advocacy involves not only the courtroom, but often the other branches of government, too
Also over the years, our firm has provided general counsel and special counsel services to many state and local units of government, including:
- Governor’s Office
- Statewide Elected Officials
- County Board of Supervisors
- Mississippi Department of Transportation
- Miss. Senate, Special Session Committee on Tort Reform
- Key Individual Legislators
- Utility Authorities
- Mississippi Department of Public Safety
- Public Hospitals
Many of our attorneys work closely with local and state governmental agencies, as well as the Legislature. They regularly monitor legislative activity and stay abreast of state and local political interests in order to provide our clients with the best possible representation.
Our experience includes:
- Successfully representing Mississippi’s Governor and the Mississippi Department of Medicaid in a landmark case involving the separation of powers between the branches of state government.
- Serving as bond counsel on initial issues and refinancing for the Jackson County Utility Authority, Jackson County, Mississippi and the University of Southern Mississippi on its recent stadium expansion.
- Representing clients on numerous commercial and residential planning issues, plat approval, zoning changes, environmental regulations, condemnation actions, and utility installations before governmental entities, at the municipal, county, state, and federal level.
Stephen Burrow will be the lone faculty member in a 90 minute telephonic seminar entitled "LLC Charging Orders: The Quiet Shield of Asset Protection." The seminar will be presented by National Business Institute on April 25, 2017 at 1:00pm Central Time. Among the...read more
Heidelberg Steinberger will host its annual employment law seminar at the Biloxi Yacht Club on May 11, 2017, titled "Guideline for Employers and Carriers." In response to input from attendees at the firm's 2016 seminar, the program will be divided between workers...read more